Does Kotlin have multi-catch?

It’s a pity it requires kotlin.reflect

2 Likes

You can avoid reflect and adding new method by using whenclause, it is not much longer:

try {
} catch (e: Exception) {
    when(e){
         is SomeException, is OtherException -> {...}
         else -> {}
    }
}
6 Likes

To mimic multi-catch the else branch should rethrow the exception.

try {
} catch (e: Exception) {
    when(e) {
         is SomeException, is OtherException -> {...}
         else -> throw e
    }
}
5 Likes

Is there an issue that we can vote for to get this in?

8 Likes

Yes - https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/KT-7128

It seems very odd that after 4 years this issue is still awaiting prioritisation.

I get that exceptions are not ‘cool’ from a functional perspective, but Kotlin is a General Purpose language, and allow succinct code in the main programming styles.

7 Likes

Maybe they are actively considering union types, in which case multi-catch would follow for free.

6 Likes

And this is the final wish:

try {
    // code
} catchWhen(ex:Exception) {
        is SomeException,
        is AnotherException -> {
            // handle
        }
        else -> throw ex
}
3 Likes

I also encountered situation for multi catch today and landed here.
Sadly, I see lot of people already reported this, and no action taken till now.

2 Likes

@yole as it’s been awhile since last reply, I am wondered if there any foreseen time-line for implementing this feature?

As probably already stated in this thread, not supporting checked exceptions and, nevertheless, multi-catch is a design choice. To better understand the problems of checked exceptions and whatever construct derivates from it, I recommend this post from @elizarov. His blog is a great source for understanding many design choices of Kotlin!

Not having multi-catch has nothing to do with not having checked exceptions. Both approaches are orthogonal to each other.

I think you meant that multi catch and checked exceptions have nothing to do with each other :wink:
That said, if you follow the coding guidelines provided in the link you don’t have much use for multi catch. Still it would be a nice feature to have.

1 Like

Read the article fully…

Posting this comment for visibility.

It’s astonishing that after 6 years and over 300 likes on https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/KT-7128 this feature still hasn’t been added.

1 Like

lol read the article 4 messages above :laughing:

Just created my own implementation for that…

This is how it looks like:

unsafe {
            danger {
                // place some danger code that probably throws an exception.. (placed in try-Block)
            }

except(ConnectException::class, SocketException::class) {
                // catch code for either ConnectException or SocketException
            }

except(NullPointerException::class) {
                // multiple catch blocks possible
            }
        }

The implementation of the Unsafe-Class is on Github:

3 years has passed .

2 Likes

On Jun 15 '20, @lamba92 referred to this article which educates us about how using exceptions (checked or not) as a way to communicate the result of an invocation is a bad idea.

Kotlin and Exceptions
by Roman Elizarov,
Project Lead for the Kotlin Programming Language @ JetBrains

It is really worth internalizing that advice in your own API design.

Meanwhile, when having to use an API that does convey the result of an invocation via Exceptions, catching Exception and subjecting it a when is a reasonable workaround for those rare situations where there is a better strategy than throwing it up the call-chain.

2 Likes

Is there any news about this topic?

Thanks

1 Like

Bumping for visibility