Lag clicking on links

Short description: 1 second delay between mouse click and result on website.

Long description:

Since I began using the site (kotlinlang.org and discuss.kotlinlang.org) I noticed delay between clicking on the links (normal mouse button and middle mouse button) and the expected result → navigating to the new address or opening the new window.

The delay also happens when clicking on the categories ‘select’.

Today I decided to take a look into it, it seems all these clicks has a javascript event handler which sends an ajax request to some server (https://426-qvd-114.mktoresp.com/webevents/clickLink) and the click event only continues after the request is finished, in my case around 1 second, and this one second delay happens on all the clicks, very annoying.

This event seems to be related with using marketo.com library for tracking user clicks. I understand that you might need the information obtained by tracking user clicks, but seems like a bad design decision to wait for the ajax request to finish before continuing with the click event.

Hi @aaronps,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! We’ve adjusted the event handler, so there should be practically no delay now. Please check and let me know if the problem persists.

Cheers,
Dmitry

1 Like

After some testing, it might somewhat better, lag appears every few clicks, I recorded some videos but they are inconclusive.

I noticed after some period of inactivity it has the 1second delay, then it goes to 0.3 seconds. It seems to be the first connection to the remote server and then the browser reuses the same connection for the other click events.

We made few more adjustments to the event handler, everything should be OK now.
I’m closing this topic but please feel free to open a new one in case you notice any issues.

Thanks,
Dmitry