Using Java enums in Kotlin

Hi!

I would like to use some enums already existing in a Java-module (spread out in different packages) in my Kotlin-JS module. Is it possible to some way generate a Kotlin class from a Java-class? I’m thinking of making my self a “script” that generates those enums.

Any guidance or ideas to best solve this is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jørund

If you want to convert java to kotlin you can use konlin converter in your idea. But i am not sure that such a conversion will help you in your case. Because in most cases converted class will have a lot of a dependencies. So you will have to convert all of them. I suggest you to look for a js equivalents.

But lets say the enums are without dependencies. Would it then be possible to export (generate) one Java enum to a Kotlin enum?

Yep. Why don’t you try it yourself?

The converter does not “export” anything; it will delete the original Java file and replace with with a Kotlin file. You can’t have multiple versions of the same declaration (with the same qualified name) in a single project.

I wonder if you guys misunderstand me. I don’t want to manually export a Java class to Kotlin. However programatically (issued by a maven code generation plugin) generate a Kotlin class (enum) from a Java class (enum). The generated Kotlin-class will not reside as source code but in target under generated-classes. The package of the generated class will not be the same package as the Java-class.

Is this possible?

There is no such plugin at this time. Why don’t you simply convert the Java enums to Kotlin? It will be far easier.

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

Can I mix Kotlin and Java one in the source dir in the same module? Must I have separate source dirs? Like src/main/java and src/main/kotlin?

Yes, you can mix Kotlin and Java in the same directory.

Great! Thanks!