Implicit type for catch all block

Quite often we’re not interested in distinguishing types of exceptions in catch block, we just catch whatever comes and either log it, provide some default value etc.
I think it would be useful to be able to omit exception type in such case and just write catch(e) and have type of e implicitly set to Throwable

This would be especially useful when using try catch as single line expressions (like for example in: val str = try { readFile() } catch(e) { defaultContent } - I can’t see any drawback of omitting “:Throwable” in this case - or is there any that I’m not aware of?

I see just one drawback: adding unnessessary feature to language. If this case is common in your code you can just create a function like
inline fun <T> tryOrDefault(default: T, block: () → T) = try { block() } catch (e: Throwable) { default }

I’m not sure if you can call it a feature, rather simplification :slight_smile: - same as I don’t need to explicitly type parameters in lambda or variables

This design seems like it would only encourage swallowing exceptions, which is an anti-pattern (at the very least, we should always be logging them).

@nanodeath Nothing prevents swallowing exceptions now with the explicit Throwable type specified.

@Antoni.Mysliborski The similar request is already filed as https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/KT-17957, feel free to vote for it or provide your use case there, if it’s not already listed.

@ilya.gorbunov I agree that having explicit Throwable type doesn’t change too much in terms of not swallowing.
I added my comment there and voted, thanks for pointing it out