Issue with kotlinx/serialization in spring boot

I am getting this error in a spring boot web application. It’s driving me crazy.
Dependencies:
jackson-module-kotlin

I am trying to move to the newest spring boot version (2.6.5).
kotlinx-serialization-json is not a dependency.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException:
Failed to instantiate [org.springframework.boot.autoconfigure.http.HttpMessageConverters]: Factory method 'messageConverters' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.VerifyError: Bad type on operand stack
Exception Details:
    org/springframework/http/converter/json/KotlinSerializationJsonHttpMessageConverter.<init>()V @8: invokespecial
  Reason:
    Type 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json$Default' (current frame, stack[1]) is not assignable to 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json'
  Current Frame:
    bci: @8
    flags: { flagThisUninit }
    locals: { uninitializedThis, '[Z' }
    stack: { uninitializedThis, 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json$Default' }

Most probably, you have kotlinx-serialization as a transitive dependency, and have a version clash somewhere; 0.20.0 vs 1.0.0 etc. seems to be the common root of this problem.

I am running into the same issue for spring boot version 2.7.9.

kotlinx-serialization-json is not a dependency for my project either and I was unable to find any transitive dependencies in my project’s pom or parent poms as well.

I have tried adding explicit exclusions for that dependency in my poms and also later tried to add the dependency to specify the version directly. Looking at my .m2 folder, I do not see kotlinx-serialization-json being pulled in when I build my project either.

I have also tried utilizing the maven enforcer plug-in to make sure that the dependency does not exist in my app.

Any other leads to try and fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!

2023-01-23 16:01:41.773  WARN 11895 --- [           main] o.s.w.c.s.GenericWebApplicationContext   : Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'requestMappingHandlerAdapter' defined in class path resource [org/springframework/web/servlet/config/annotation/DelegatingWebMvcConfiguration.class]: Bean instantiation via factory method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to instantiate [org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter]: Factory method 'requestMappingHandlerAdapter' threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.VerifyError: Bad type on operand stack
Exception Details:
    org/springframework/http/converter/json/KotlinSerializationJsonHttpMessageConverter.<init>()V @4: invokespecial
  Reason:
    Type 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json$Default' (current frame, stack[1]) is not assignable to 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json'
  Current Frame:
    bci: @4
    flags: { flagThisUninit }
    locals: { uninitializedThis }
    stack: { uninitializedThis, 'kotlinx/serialization/json/Json$Default' }
  Bytecode:
    0x0000000: 2ab2 0001 b700 02b1                    

2023-01-23 16:01:41.799  INFO 11895 --- [           main] ConditionEvaluationReportLoggingListener : 

Error starting ApplicationContext. To display the conditions report re-run your application with 'debug' enabled.
2023-01-23 16:01:41.843 ERROR 11895 --- [           main] o.s.boot.SpringApplication               : Application run failed```