Map & flatmap: Kotlin is slower than Java - fixed

I've tried to create a "a","b".."z","aa","ab","ac".."zz" data. here are to versions that create it the same way:

Java version:

static String[] letters = IntStream.rangeClosed(‘A’, ‘Z’).mapToObj(c -> String.valueOf((char) c)).toArray(String[]::new);

public static void javaWay() {
  Stream.of(letters).flatMap(letter -> Stream.of(letters).map(anotherLetter -> letter + anotherLetter));
}

Kotlin version:

val seq = ('a'..'z').map(Char::toString).toTypedArray()
fun kotlinWay() {
    val a = seq flatMap { seq map { char -> it + char } }
}

However, the kotlin version is much slower. 10,000 runs of the java version take ~47ms. 10,000 runs of the kotlin version take ~220ms.

Why does the Kotlin version is slower? Since the Kotlin version is based on inline, I thought it would be faster.

In Java version you are using Streams which are lazy. Kotlin's map function is eager on an array. What if you replace "toTypedArray()" with "asSequence()"?

And of course, javaWay actually does nothing except constructing a stream, because you are not even consuming the stream. You need to call Collect on a Stream and toList() on Kotlin sequence to actually compare something.

If I change it to Sequence it create a new Sequence from the tranformation. so 4ms and it is faster than Java (47ms). but when consuming both to a list, the kotlin version is faster, 260ms compared to 350ms. However in java you can consume it to array. if you consume it to object[] it takes 260ms, but it takes 350ms to string[].

Thanks for helping :slight_smile: