Multiplatform BigDecimal implementation?

I’m starting work on a new multiplatform Kotlin project and quickly ran into a snag in trying to use BigDecimal in a platform agnostic way. It’s looking like there will be a lot of work in translating java.math.BigDecimal into a multiplatform expect class, and then providing the JS (and maybe someday down the road, native) implementation.

Was thinking I might just create my own library for it, but does anyone know if this has already been done?

7 Likes

I was thinking about the same thing for Native. So, good idea.

Probably could do it right now: bigdecimal - npm

This is a biggest blocker for me to use Kotlin Multiplatform. A library would be welcome. Maybe I can contribute.

I’ve set up a first cut at a library at kmulti-bignumber. It has an expect declaration for BigDecimal with some of the essential methods and operators. For the JVM it just directly uses typealias from java.math.BigDecimal. I haven’t done anything on JS or BigInteger yet and probably won’t for awhile, so please send PRs. :slight_smile:

Here’s my attempt at bignum library kotlin-multiplatform-bignum . I choose a different approach, by starting with a pure kotlin-common implementation. Currently it only has integer support so it doesn’t solve your problem just yet, but I’ll be working on floating point soon. It’s currently slow, no Karatsuba, Toom-Cook, etc., but basic integer operations should be working. PRs and advice are welcome!

3 Likes

Just a quick update, I’ve added support for BigDecimal, should be working fine, albeit slow as I haven’t yet implemented faster algorithms for multiplication and division such as Karatsuba, Newtons method for reciprocal, etc. That’s next on my list. Again, PRs and advice welcome!

4 Likes

I’m trying out BigDecimal in multi-platform, and I don’t see anything like toInt(), toLong(), toDouble(), toFloat(). Anybody know if this functionality is in there somewhere, or do I need to do extensions?

Hmmm, digging in the code it looks like I’m wanting BigDecimal to fully implement the NarrowingOperations interface and it doesn’t. So extension functions here I come :slight_smile:

Recently I was searching for BigDecimal for iOS. I found no drop-in replacement, so I’ve ported the BigDecimal from the Android Open Source Project to Kotlin/Native: GitHub - kendy/Kotlin-Native-BigDecimal: Kotlin/Native BigDecimal implementation Hope you’ll find it useful :slight_smile:

3 Likes