Will robots replace programmers?

Hi,

I edited this topic, I deleted the same text that I posted in other topic.

If yes, why robots will replace programmers?

If yes, when will programmers get replaced by robots?

Wow, it’s been not even a moth since you posted the same text: Instead of using the high-level languages, programmers will start using the more higher-level programming languages and human language level programming languages?

Except this time you did not even finish the argument…

@Wasabi375,

If yes, why robots will replace programmers?

If yes, when will programmers get replaced by robots?

I read it the first time. Pls don’t mention me unless you actually have anything new to say.

;;"’ println(1/0);
Just checking to see if we can break the bot :wink:

1 Like

@arocnies,

I am not a bot.

I’m asking about if will robots replace programmers because I like the subject.

My first reaction is that this thread was posted by a robot given it is reposted.

So, yes, threads on this forum are supposed to be posted by programmers, but it ends up robots are posting instead.

1 Like

@SOF3,

I am not a robot.

Isn’t there a book where the main character lives in a world where general AI has been invented and realizes at the end that he himself was a robot all along?

Anyways, sorry for the confusion @man_hobby
I think the open endedness of your questions (which resemble writing prompts) lead me to mistake your post for a bot (probably written in Kotlin) asking about its place in the world :wink: .

Why are you asking these questions?

Probably not.

That’s exactly what a robot would say to make you think it isn’t a robot.

4 Likes

But to seriously answer the question, it is a question that cannot be answered because it really doesn’t define its terms. What do you mean robot? Do you mean artificial intelligence? What does replacing programmers really mean?

Computers continue to replace drudge work by programmers and programmers continue to work in higher levels of abstractions. 60 years ago people were programming in assembly now we have declarative languages where you say what you want to do without having to specify the details of how it is done (for example, SQL). This level of automation was science fiction back then.

So it is very likely that our levels of abstraction will get higher and computers will take over more and more details, but when do you say that computers have replaced programmers? Is there some point where the level of abstraction is high enough that you no longer call it programming? Or is it when humans do not define at all what is needed to be done? Those are arguments about definitions and are pointless arguments unless you specify your definitions up front.

2 Likes

@dalewking,

I mean artificial intelligence.

Today’s IT profession is a kind of hard coding job. Every command is hardcoded and the system will do exactly how it is coded irrespective of the data we are feeding in. Coders will not be replaced by AI, coders will be coding AI. However, with AI, work on the command given by human beings. It will behave the way we feed the data. because here you learn coding an AI to unearth data patterns in a mountain of data. We don’t know how it thinks and analyzes, as we are not coding it. By looking at input data and output results the coder’s efficiencies are evaluated.

Theoretically, it can; there is no fundamentals arguments that silicon components can’t do what biological components can; so do programming; but also, defines the needs …

Current improvement on AI are mostly on task that you can do easily without explain easily how you do that : recognize object on a picture; understand voice …
Sometimes, this improvements can help for others domains; like on GO games when human champion was defeated by machine.

But improvement on more complete subject like coding (that start with understanding the needs); that’s not for today i think.
AI can help programmers (it already the case with IDE and other tools), but i will take long time before replacing them.

1 Like