Coroutines: Support class reloading used by tools like Play framework and SBT

Currently, Play framework (Java version) uses SBT to reload classes on their change by compiling changed classes and restarting class loaders of running app. Everything was ok until I added kotlin coroutines to a controller and then when developing on that controller, every time I change the code, I must restart server which takes very long time.
Is there any way to work around this?

Can you provide a link to some self-contained project that reproduces this problem?

FWIW, I’m experiencing a lot of hot reloading problems with Android since introducing coroutines. Basically, I had to turn the feature off. Right now it won’t even compile:

Error:Execution failed for task ':app:transformClassesWithDexBuilderForDebug'.
      > com.android.build.api.transform.TransformException: org.gradle.tooling.BuildException:   com.android.dx.cf.code.SimException: local 0007: invalid

Can you elaborate on the problem? Can you reproduce with a self-contained example or post your project?

I’m using Android Studio 3.0 beta 6 with Kotlin 1.1.4-2. The project uses Anko and this library: https://github.com/lightningkite/kotlin-anko

Steps to reproduce:

1. enable Instant Run in Settings
  2. build the project
  3. run the project
    => exception as above. Stack trace from the Gradle console:
:app:transformClassesWithDexBuilderForDebug
Error while processing com\lightningkite\kotlin\anko\HintSpinner.class
com.android.dx.cf.code.SimException: local 0007: invalid
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.OneLocalsArray.throwSimException(OneLocalsArray.java:243)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.OneLocalsArray.get(OneLocalsArray.java:155)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.BaseMachine.localArg(BaseMachine.java:211)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.Simulator$SimVisitor.visitLocal(Simulator.java:604)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.BytecodeArray.parseInstruction(BytecodeArray.java:368)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.Simulator.simulate(Simulator.java:103)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.Ropper.processBlock(Ropper.java:790)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.Ropper.doit(Ropper.java:745)
	at com.android.dx.cf.code.Ropper.convert(Ropper.java:350)
	at com.android.dx.dex.cf.CfTranslator.processMethods(CfTranslator.java:309)
	at com.android.dx.dex.cf.CfTranslator.translate0(CfTranslator.java:150)
	at com.android.dx.dex.cf.CfTranslator.translate(CfTranslator.java:102)
	at com.android.builder.dexing.DxDexArchiveBuilder.dex(DxDexArchiveBuilder.java:115)
	at com.android.builder.dexing.DxDexArchiveBuilder.convert(DxDexArchiveBuilder.java:85)
	at com.android.build.gradle.internal.transforms.DexArchiveBuilderTransform$DexConversionWorkAction.run(DexArchiveBuilderTransform.java:433)
	at com.android.build.gradle.internal.transforms.DexArchiveBuilderTransform.lambda$convertToDexArchive$1(DexArchiveBuilderTransform.java:519)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask$AdaptedCallable.exec(ForkJoinTask.java:1424)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:289)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1056)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1692)
	at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:157)

Looking at the stack trace, I’m not sure it’s even related to coroutines, though…

Looking at the stack trace it does not even seem to be related to Kotlin, but looks like a bug in a beta version of Android toolchain. I would highly recommend reporting it to Google Android team.

I did have problems with coroutines before I started using this library, though. Pretty sure it was related to using Anko’s onClick. “Apply changes” would result in runtime exception after I did something with the GUI.