Kotlin Gradle plugin not resolving classpath from local directory

I’m trying to use the Kotlin Gradle plugin by loading the plugin artifacts and all its runtime dependencies from a local directory. However, the plugin is not able to find the kotlin-scripting-compiler-embeddable dependency, even though this JAR (and all its transitive runtime dependencies) is in the classpath.

My directory structure is:

$ ls
build.gradle  libs  settings.gradle  src
$ ls libs
kotlin-android-extensions-1.3.20.jar            kotlin-gradle-plugin-1.3.20.jar                  kotlin-script-runtime-1.3.20.jar  
kotlin-annotation-processing-gradle-1.3.20.jar  kotlin-gradle-plugin-api-1.3.20.jar              kotlin-stdlib-1.3.20.jar          
kotlin-compiler-embeddable-1.3.20.jar           kotlin-gradle-plugin-model-1.3.20.jar            trove4j-1.0.20181211.jar          
kotlin-compiler-runner-1.3.20.jar               kotlin-reflect-1.3.20.jar                                                          
kotlin-daemon-client-1.3.20.jar                 kotlin-scripting-compiler-embeddable-1.3.20.jar                                    ```

My build.gradle is:

buildscript {                                                                 
    dependencies {                                                            
        classpath fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')                     
    }                                                                         
}                                                                             

apply plugin: 'kotlin'                                                        

dependencies {                                                                
    kotlinCompilerClasspath fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')           
    kotlinCompilerPluginClasspath fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')     
}                                                                             

And the problem is:

$ gradle assemble                                                                                                                            
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx900m                                                                                                            
> Task :compileKotlin FAILED                                                                                                                 

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.                                                                                                     

* What went wrong:                                                                                                                           
Execution failed for task ':compileKotlin'.                                                                                                  
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':kotlinCompilerPluginClasspath'.                                                            
   > Cannot resolve external dependency org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-scripting-compiler-embeddable:1.3.20 because no repositories are defined.
     Required by:                                                                                                                            
         project :                                                                                                                           
...                                                                                                                                             

To reproduce the failure, there must be at least one Kotlin file in src/main/kotlin (even if it’s empty).

I’m using Gradle 4.10.2.

Please note: I’m aware that adding an external repository to the project (like mavenCentral) solves the problem, as explained e.g. here. However, I have the requirement to resolve all build artifacts locally (including gradle plugins), without connecting to any repository.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a limitation in how the plugin resolves the classpath that doesn’t allow this (admittedly uncommon) use case?

Thanks in advance.

I also tried adding the transitive compile (not just runtime) dependencies to the classpath, just in case:

$ ls libs                                                                                                                                   
annotations-17.0.0.jar                          kotlin-daemon-client-1.3.20.jar        kotlin-scripting-compiler-embeddable-1.3.20.jar      
kotlin-android-extensions-1.3.20.jar            kotlin-gradle-plugin-1.3.20.jar        kotlin-script-runtime-1.3.20.jar                     
kotlin-annotation-processing-gradle-1.3.20.jar  kotlin-gradle-plugin-api-1.3.20.jar    kotlin-stdlib-1.3.20.jar                             
kotlin-build-common-1.3.20.jar                  kotlin-gradle-plugin-model-1.3.20.jar  kotlin-stdlib-common-1.3.20.jar                      
kotlin-compiler-embeddable-1.3.20.jar           kotlin-native-utils-1.3.20.jar         trove4j-1.0.20181211.jar                             
kotlin-compiler-runner-1.3.20.jar               kotlin-reflect-1.3.20.jar                                                                   

Same result though.

I finally solved the problem with the set of dependencies indicated in the original post, and the following build.gradle:

buildscript {
    dependencies {
        classpath fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')
    }
}

apply plugin: 'kotlin'

repositories {
    flatDir(dir: 'libs')
}

dependencies {
    kotlinCompilerClasspath fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: '*.jar')
}

Strangely, it is necessary to indicate both the explicit classpath and the flatDir repo… Probably something could be improved in the Kotlin Gradle plugin to simplify this.