Unused result warnings

Greetings all,

I’d like to propose a feature where the compiler would warn users if they ignore the result of specially annotated functions. Here’s some examples of bugs:

val s = "Hello" s.substring(2) // Ignoring the result is always a bug or pointless

data class Person(val firstName: String, val lastName: String)

val p = Person("Andrew", "O'Malley") p.copy(firstName = "Bill") // Bug

val set = Sets.of("Hello") // Persistent set (e.g. from Dexx) set.add("there") // Bug

I see the number of cases of such bugs growing as immutable structures and functional approaches become mainstream.

I propose allowing functions to declare that their results must be used with a mustUse annotation. If they are not used the compiler will emit a warning.

e.g.

mustUse fun String.substring(beginIndex: Int) : String = ...

Precedents:

1. IntelliJ already has this feature in the Java plugin for String.substring(). Presumably the rule is hard-wired somewhere however
  2. I believe Rust has a “unused_must_use” lint mode coupled with a “#[must_use]” directive. It only seems to apply at a trait level, not a function level however.

Any thoughts? If the idea has any traction I can raise an issue for it.

Cheers,
Andrew

Looks more like an IDE feature to me

Fyi, Nimrod's solution is to explicitly require a discard statement for these cases, e.g.

val s = "Hello"
discard s.substring(2)

data class Person(val firstName: String, val lastName: String)
val p = Person(“Andrew”, “O’Malley”)
discard p.copy(firstName = “Bill”)

val set = Sets.of(“Hello”) // Persistent set (e.g. from Dexx)
discard set.add(“there”)

Omitting “discard” in the above cases is a static error. I really like this solution as the “discard” makes it obvious that one executes a function only for its side effects. Of course, no one should write code like the above, i.e. the lines starting with “discard” should not even be there.

Interesting. It looks like Nimrod always warns and discard is an opt-out.

I don’t think that would be feasible in Kotlin as there’s a multitiude of things in the Java space that return results that no-one (generally) is interested in. e.g. the Collections.add and Map.put return values that are rarely used.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrey,

I suppose it currently is for IntelliJ’s java plugin, but:

• How would libaries add new rules to the IDE? Or is the IDE limited to understanding the standard library with a fixed set of rules?
  • How would rules be shared between IntelliJ and the Eclipse plugin in progress?

Anyway, I respect your judgement for not wanting to add bloat to the compiler. :slight_smile:

I guess such things call be handled by a static analysis tool like http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/ in a post compilation step for people that want it.

Cheers,
Andrew

I've found that FindBugs and JSR 305 supports my use case using via the @CheckReturnValue.

So I could “import CheckReturnValue as mustUse” and run FindBugs to get what I want.

Here’s an example: http://www.sw-engineering-candies.com/blog-1/findbugstmwarningsbysamplenonnullandcheckreturnvalueofjsr-305

Not perfect, but certainly workable.

Cheers,
Andrew

IDE can understand annotations too.

Ah, that makes sense - you're not saying the idea doesn't have any merit, just that it doesn't belong in the compiler itself.

Thanks for the clarifcation - I’ll let you get back to more important tasks. :slight_smile: