What is the future of Kotlin?

Hello everyone. I am a first year student of computer science. I have a little android development experience (With kotlin). I know the basics of Java. What do you think is the future in mobile and backend development? Is it possible to be a developer sought in business areas with Kotlin?

Such broad and philosophical questions are usually impossible to answer. I recommend you to listen to @abreslav talk on the last KotlinConf: KotlinConf 2019: Opening Keynote by Andrey Breslav - YouTube.

I personally feel the same optimism about the language development in future.

1 Like

thanks for sharing

@mert0gundogan, exact for current moment Kotlin is primary language for Android development. And Kotlin is officially supported by Spring, which is the most popular framework for Java backend development at the Enterprise companies.

However please note, that everything can change in the next 5-10 years. Just check language index popularity here (please note, that this is just indicative rating): 10 years ago Python wasn’t so popular (it was 15 years old at that time).

So nobody knows, what will be in future. However in general case it is better to know language than not to know (just from my point of view).