Why is Kotlin not among the most used languages?

Why is Kotlin not among the most used languages?
Does it still have a promising future or is it not?

Kotlin is among the most used languages.

5 Likes

It depends on where you look.

Why anyone would do development in Java instead of Kotlin is one of the greatest mysteries… Only explanation I have is that people like carpal syndrome and bloated code, so they stick with Java.

I’ve been using exclusively Kotlin for the past year, and unless someone beats me with a baseball bat, I won’t develop in Java ever again.

I don’t know about you, maybe you are Vim masochist or something, but I don’t really feel like I do all that much more typing in Java than Kotlin when using a modern IDE like IntelliJ. I type 4-5 chars, autocomplete, Ctrl-V to create final var {something} and presto. With Java’s record you finally also have a struct-like class like in Kotlin, so verbosity for those “data-holder” cases is a thing of the past.

And TBH, typing has never what held me back from completing features. It’s my brain that’s the slow part :smile:

The biggest pain points about Kotlin is that it is still rife with children’s diseases that make life less enjoyable. After introducing Kotlin, we have had issues with

• plugins needing updating to be able to handle Kotlin
  • much slower builds (just adding a handful of Kotlin classes increased build time by a minute or more)
  • randomly failing flaky tests when touching Kotlin code (NoClassFoundException)

This is all (probably) fixable, but when going from a relatively painfree and super-fast pipeline to adding those issues you don’t get immediate puppy-love affection for Kotlin, even though the language in itself is beautiful.