What game engines for Kotlin Native and Kotlin JVM are there?

I’ve seen LibGdx for Kotlin JVM but I haven’t really seen anything else for Kotlin JVM or anything at all for Kotlin Native.

On Kotlin JVM you can use any java game engine (LibGdx, jMonkey, I’m sure there are some more, just google for them).
On the native side there aren’t any (as far as I’m aware). I guess you can try to use any C engine (creating the bindings yourself). I don’t know of anyone trying this, but I would guess it’s a lot of work. Also K/N’s performance isn’t that great, so maybe K/N isn’t the right choice for this. Of cause this will hopefully improve over time, K/N still isn’t stable so there will be lot’s of improvements/changes.

2 Likes

Korge is Here :slight_smile:
https://korge.soywiz.com/
and you can use Kotlin Native in Godot with a native wrapper .

1 Like

Does it have similar speeds to stuff like Unity and/or Unreal Engine and what does it support? 2D or 3D or both?

Kotlin native interops with C. So you could use something like SDL (https://www.libsdl.org/)
There’s an official example of this on the Kotlin-native github repo.

I invite you to have a look at GitHub - KogeLabs/Ockero: Ockero: Kotlin OpenGl Game Engine
Koge (Kotlin OpenGL Game Engine) is a 2D game framework developed in Kotlin that works in Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

Also take a look at this: GitHub - zeganstyl/thelema-engine: Thelema - 3D graphics engine, written in Kotlin. Based on sources of libGDX.
It is 3d engine, currently for desktop, but soon will also for webgl.

1 Like

Hi, I developed and use a 2D game API based on entity-components and builder-DSL patterns on Kotlin JVM (Native planed) called FlyKo (Firefly on Kotlin). The API also uses libGDX.

Have a look at: GitHub - AndreasHefti/flyKo: A fully component based 2D game API with DSL support completely designed on the Entity Component System design approach

Check out out LittleKt. It’s 2D multiplatform game framework for desktop (currently JVM), mobile, and web that I wrote. If you are familiar with LibGDX then this should be pretty easy to get started with. It has a bunch of cool tools and utilities. Even a scene graph with its own custom UI implementation similar to Godot.

Take a look here: GitHub - littlektframework/littlekt: A multiplatform 2D game framework written in Kotlin

1 Like