Official support for Visual Studio Code

Whilst support for the language server protocol has been requested previously, would it be possible to reconsider official support for Visual Studio Code? VSCode has been ranked number 1 amongst the most popular IDEs on stackoverflow and could massively benefit Kotlin adoption.

This would not only be beneficial to developers using this editor, but could drag a lot of developers to IDEA when seeking out for a full-blown IDE eventually.

Support for Visual Studio Code is exactly the same thing as support for Language Server Protocol.

I don’t quite see how support for Visual Studio Code could help drag developers to IDEA. I think the effect of providing that support will be exactly the opposite.

If Kotlin is intended to replace Java at a similar scale, support for different tooling is essential to sustain the adoption. I find IDEA to be an absolutely amazing IDE (honestly the best free IDE around), but many developers will simply not give up the tools they are familiar with just to try a new language. Once they discover that Kotlin is a much nicer language to work with than Java, they are much more likely to move to an ecosystem where Kotlin is perfectly integrated.

You could replace the current Eclipse plugin by a language server providing a very basic level of Kotlin support to attract developers outside of the IDE world and then point them towards first-class support for refactoring, different frameworks and much more in IDEA.

I can fully understand that JetBrains is not willing to spend money to drag users from IntelliJ away. On the other hand they are doing exactly that with the Eclipse Plugin (although it is a very small team, as far as I know).

Maybe the best thing would be, if the community would create a language server protocol implementation. That would help Eclipse and VS Code users.

There is one already. https://github.com/fwcd/KotlinLanguageServer

Also, the situation with Eclipse and Visual Studio Code is different. Over the years, the Eclipse ecosystem has gained a huge array of integrated tools, and many such tools have become essential parts of the development process at many organizations; people simply cannot afford to lose those integrations. With Visual Studio Code, the situation is different: the desire to use VS Code rather than IntelliJ IDEA is a matter of personal preference, nothing else, and we do not want to encourage people whose personal preference is not to use JetBrains development tools.

Well, Java has reached Java’s level of popularity without Sun or Oracle ever investing anything into the development of alternative IDEs or support in alternative text editors. C#, same thing, Swift, same thing.

Support for different tooling is good to sustain the adoption indeed, but there is no reason why the support has to be provided by JetBrains.

Well, NetBeans was really good few years ago. I had to move to IDEA because better support of alternative languages and gradle. But development seems to be dead at the moment.

Also I think that it is better to have one IDE with great support, than few different IDEs with average support. Gives other a quality level to refer to.

I agree with this especially with regard to the Kotlin eclipse plugin. However, you do not make money with developing a programming language. It only costs money. Sun hoped they could make money with java, but in the end Java did not help them at all fighting against their losses in their server business. For that reason programming languages and compiles are made by companies that sell some OS such as Microsoft or Apple to support their platform or by companies that indirectly profit from supporting some programming lanague such as Oracle, because many Java server side applications use Oracle databases.

For a company like JetBrains it is very important that their source of income remains undamaged. Otherwise the company might disappear and their language as well. Maybe, Google decides to fight against Oracle by acquiring JetBrains and use Kotlin as their arm against the domination of Java. Then they might pull money into developing first class Kotlin plugins for eclipse and Visual Studio Code. But that is another story (and I won’t mind if it becomes true one day as the chance to using Kotlin at work would rise significantly ;-)).

In other hand, having a Language Server can give the road to the cloud IDEs. Such as Eclipse Che, that enforced by RedHat and Co.

The progress is never stops. And today’s trends is in moving to clouds more and more in any aspects. Even in code production.

One more use case we have recently in our application.

To configure complex custom logic we develop nice DSL in Kotlin. But customers become want to editing this DSL by self. They are don’t want to use IDE at all, but our’s application interface only.

With language server we will can to make editor in place with editing powers almost like in big IDE.

But without it we can only embed CodeMirror. It solve part of problems, but not all. And ebedding is not easy task for this component. If want to want to give functional interface to customers.