Any plan for Supporting Language Server Protocol?

The language server protocol (LSP) is a common protocol for a tool and a language smartness provider.

It will be nice to have a Kotlin language server, since there are already some popular LSP clients available (VSCode, NeoVim) and some are in progress (emacs, sublime etc.).

We have no plans to support LSP at this time. Instead, we’re focusing on providing the best possible Kotlin development experience in our own IDE, IntelliJ IDEA.

While I understand your focus on developing your IDE, I believe the general acceptance of Kotlin is in the best interest of both JetBrains and the programming community. While I wish to use Kotlin on my work projects, I cannot convince managers to even consider Kotlin since there is no Kotlin language server to support integration with a variety of tools from a variety of vendors and the Open Source community. IF JetBrains were to play nice, it would help the adoption of the Kotlin languages. Sure some members of the team would use tools not built by JetBrains, but I and many others would purchase commercial IntelliJ IDEA licenses, because it would be the leading tool. So overall, I believe adding such community focused capabilities would help your business as well as the greater adoption of the Kotlin language.

Thank you for reading this.

I think supporting LSP would help provide the best possible development experience. Since the protocol is here to build outstanding support for a language, all the IDE has to do is support the protocol. I think the IntelliJ IDEA would benefit largely from supporting this. What’s the argument against it?

The LSP doesn’t allow to build outstanding support for a language, it allows to build the “least common denominator” support only.

Just to understand. What language support would be missing from the IDE if IntelliJ was using the Language Server Protocol?

For example, all refactorings other than Rename.

Indeed, as per this issue. Thanks.