Plugin update, tons of IDE errors

Anyone else getting tons of IDE errors after latest IntelliJ plugin update? It’s unusable. CPU fans are blowing on the MacBook. Most of the stacktraces look like this…

org.jetbrains.kotlin.utils.KotlinExceptionWithAttachments: Exception while analyzing expression at (37,13) in [...path...]/KtorSite.kt
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorDispatcher.logOrThrowException(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorDispatcher.lambda$getTypeInfo$0(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.util.PerformanceCounter.time(PerformanceCounter.kt:101)
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorDispatcher.getTypeInfo(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorDispatcher.getTypeInfo(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorForStatements.visitExpression(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.types.expressions.ExpressionTypingVisitorForStatements.visitExpression(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.psi.KtVisitor.visitReferenceExpression(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.psi.KtVisitor.visitCallExpression(
	at org.jetbrains.kotlin.psi.KtCallExpression.accept(

This exception excerpt is not very informative, I can’t say anything specific. Can you please file an issue at with full exception stacktrace, IDEA logs, and a sample project to reproduce if possible?

I got a ton of errors, but not like yours: all of a sudden, no dependencies would resolve — any imports or references to classes not in the current module or the JRE itself (i.e. java.*) were not recognised (with, as you might imagine, hilarious consequences).

I did eventually resolve it; I can’t tell you exactly which steps were needed, but over a couple of hours I tried things such as removing and reinstalling the Kotlin plugin, adding and then removing the relevant jars to the ‘Kotlin SDK’ in the project set-up, invalidating caches, letting IDEA configure Kotlin in a couple of projects when it offered, and umpteen restarts. The last thing I did was to reload all Maven projects and all Gradle projects; after that (and yet more rebuilding) everything resolved again.

(By now I’m sadly used to random persistent errors, bizarre behaviour, and having my CPU unexpectedly maxed-out for many minutes at a time by Gradle projects — but the Maven ones are usually fairly well-behaved, so this was a particularly bad upgrade.)

The “Invalidate Caches / Restart” command in the “File” menu seems to have fixed it.